Keep in mind the new society and the new identities springing up within the frictions and relations of nation/state/capital. This week we recapture a vague growing sense of crisis again. But it is clearly not the naiyū-gaikan variety, nor is it Sensei’s misanthropy.
- Akutagawa Ryūnosuke, “In a Grove“
- Tanizaki, In Praise of Shadows (all)
- Watsuji, “The Way of the Subject,” Sources, 284-87.
- Edogawa Ranpo, TBD
- The Rise of Revolutionary Nationalism, Sources, 261-299.
- Najita & Harootunian, “Japan’s Revolt Against the West” (Read at least “Culturalism” and “Cultural Particularism”)